Saturday, April 11, 2015

I.T.

My grandfather was one of the hardest working men I know.  He was the kind of man that always had a smile on his face, a warm hug and a real love for the water. I can remember going to my grandmother Helen's as a child.  She would make him lunch most days since he worked on the farm just down the road from her house and mama, Robbie and I would eat with them too.  She would fry pork chops, make creamed potatoes and homemade bread.  She cooked like that everyday for him and enjoyed every second of it.  After lunch we would swing on the screened porch and sometimes even nap out there as I.T. went back to work on the farm.  I have the most wonderful memories of him and feel incredibly blessed to have had him in my life for 36 years.  Even though my life is forever changed his legacy will live on through our family. 

When I think about Mom and I.T. I will forever think of a real love story.  The trips they went on, the homes they built, and the way they gave of themselves to their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.  What a testament of LOVE.



 
My mama loved my grandfather so much and he was so proud of the woman and mother she grew to be. 
 
 
Here he is helping at my 13th birthday party at the firehouse!
 
 
Here he is with Abigail, he always said she was going to grow up to be a movie star. 

 
He and I on Christmas Day in the early 80's.
 

 
Mama and her sister's always gave him one big gift every Christmas, here he was opening his present.

 
This was taken on Christmas eve at mama and daddy's last year.  He loved Jack and the feelings were mutual. 

 
Here are he, mom and I before my high school junior prom. 
 
 
We always got together to celebrate he and Mom's birthdays.  This is the house I grew up in, we were celebrating Mom's birthday, March of 1998.

 
This was my first house, here are he and me mama in the living room.  This was September in early 2000, we were celebrating Daddy's birthday.

 
This was Abigail's first train ride, so glad she got to do this with him. 
 
 
Here are he and I on my 35th birthday!  
 
 
Good byes are not forever,
Good byes are not the end.
They simply mean I'll miss you
Until we meet again.

1 comment:

  1. Rhonda, I'm sorry for you and your family's loss. He was a good man. I only got to know him within the past year personally, but he made quite the influence on me. He will be missed by many.

    ReplyDelete