Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Well worn soles

This is not an endorsement for Nike, I promise, but as I was putting these shoes in the washing machine yesterday and then sitting them on the deck to dry I started to think to about my walk/run in these for the past year.  I treated myself to these jewels last June, I used my birthday money and bought myself my first pair of real running shoes.  Running is my passion, it's where I dream, it's where I create and it's where I leave my junk behind.  You will never see me posting my times on social media because it is mine and only mine (for now unless I qualify for the Boston Marathon or something, yeah right although I do know two women that recently have).  I love to run and these shoes have seen it all during this past year.  I ran in the rain on back roads dodging mud puddles, I ran on ice after snowstorms, I ran in 100 degree heat and 20 degree cold, I AM A RUNNER. 

I ran the Monument 10K in Richmond the morning before my grandfather passed away.  I have run a few races before but it was with friends and more for fun or to support them.  This was for me and I loved it.  There were almost 40,000 people running this race .  As I ran waves of emotions overcame me, the smells of the 30 somethings grilling out in front of their homes on Monument Avenue, the music from the live bands in the median, the kind people handing out water and offering a sweet smile, the sun shining on my face, the strangers rooting me on as I ran by, and my husband waiting for me at the finish line.  I trained for this with a great group of women at the YMCA for several months but nothing could have prepared me for the sense of accomplishment I felt afterwards. 

 
 
Romans 8:6
For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment